Evaluation / Into the Woods (Part II)

(The highlighted text in this post will
direct you to the idea of the text)

Into the Woods (Part II)

At the beginning of this project I had no idea what I was going to produce, I had literally no ideas whatsoever and that terrified me. I usually have at least a few rough ideas, whether it is a location, a brief concept, a possible title of my project, but I had nothing.  It took about three weeks into the unit before I even had a single idea that could work. We were asked to produce a piece of work that fits into the strands, surface, archive or time. I knew that archive was out of the question as I did not find it interesting. I decided to take a step back and take part in as many workshops as I could to explore new media that I could use for the time and surface strands. I knew we had to exhibit out work for the unit at the beginning of next year, so I decided to research on how to exhibit a photograph and really got hooked on the idea of turning my photographs into an installation piece. I researched further into photography installation pieces and came across Nobuhiro Nakanishi. Nakanishi is a Japanese artist who creates three-dimensional installations by photographing a scene over a period of time. He then laser prints each image and mounts it to acrylic. I was mesmerized by his work and decided to exhibit my work as an installation influenced by Nakanishi’s.

I have used layering in photography before by using double exposure in my ‘Displacement’ project and really like the effect it made. In the workshops with Nina and Rob, I found there are many photographic processes in which you can layer imagery other than on an editing software such as photoshop. I found the cyanotype workshop extremely helpful as a way of layering imagery. Other workshops such as photograms and the mixed media workshops really made me realise that there is so much more you can do to create a photograph. This unit has really helped me grow as a photographer learning there are many ways to work into a photograph to make it something more than a ‘normal’ photograph. The photogram workshop also introduced me to acetate, I have never used acetate as a material to print onto before and the images came out well. This then gave me the idea to use acetate as my final piece, using a single sheet as one layer.

Into the Woods is a photo series of mine that I have wanted to continue and this unit I believe was the best way for me to do that. I got the chance to not only continue a series that I really enjoyed making but to improve and expand it into an installation piece. I decided that I would do a shoot in a forest, with the model wearing red as it is the signature colour that flows through the vast majority of my work, just like Part I of the photo series. I did a test shoot which helped me find out the right location and to test all of the equipment which is lucky considering the light meter didn’t work. My final shoot came out really well considering the terrible weather, the model and myself both felt comfortable around each other which helped in this situation. The final images I knew would work well on acetate and layering as in the woods, trees are layered. I have used layering in photography before by using double exposure in my ‘Displacement’ project and really like the effect it made. In the workshops with Nina and Rob, I found there are many photographic processes in which you can layer imagery other than on an editing software such as photoshop. I found the cyanotype workshop extremely helpful as a way of layering imagery. Other workshops such as photograms and the mixed media workshops really made me realise that there is so much more you can do to create a photograph. This unit has really helped me grow as a photographer learning there are many ways to work into a photograph to make it something more than a ‘normal’ photograph. The photogram workshop also introduced me to acetate, I have never used acetate as a material to print onto before and the images came out well. This then gave me the idea to use acetate as my final piece, using a single sheet as one layer. Editing the photos so that they would work well on the acetate was actually more difficult than I originally thought. I had to scan through my images and pick out the parts that would work well together as a layer. Once completed, to see the image at its full potential, do so on a lightbox.

 

Connecting photography has been a rollercoaster of a unit, I went from having ideas to thinking there was no way I could execute them. I had such high hopes for myself in this unit and I feel that I did not live up to them, I tried as hard as I could and learnt a few thing along the way. If I could go back and change anything it would be my time management, I would have also taken my time with my idea process and tried not to be so hard on myself when something didn’t turn out quite how I wanted it to. I have learnt to take a step back when I don’t know what to do and to take my time as I will not have ideas straight away. Overall, I enjoyed this project, it pushed me to new lengths and taught me that photographs can be more than just an image. I learnt many new photographic processes that I will use in the future.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s